“Popular is an American teenagecomedy-drama on The WB Television Network in the United States, created by Ryan Murphy and Gina Matthews, starring Leslie Bibb and Carly Pope as two teenage girls that reside on polar opposite sides of the popularity spectrum at their high school, but are forced to get along when their single parents randomly meet on a cruise ship and get married. The show was produced by Touchstone and ran for two seasons on The WB from 1999 to 2001.”
I know it’s been more than 10 years since they last aired this series, but I really liked it back then [they aired the series in Indonesia’s local TV channel], so when I was out of idea about what to download couple of months ago, I was like, why don’t just download Popular? I started watching the first episode 2 weeks ago after I was back in Melbourne [and feeling lonely. and nothing to do on week 1-2 of the semester. :P] and I’m falling in love all over again with the series.
As a teenager, I saw that the popular and unpopular groups were totally cool – I was with the unpopular side, of course, but I wasn’t aware of all the moral values implicitly said by the characters. Well, those values are for teenagers, but now that I see it after I grew up, I can nod to many things said there.
These are my top 5 favorite characters of the series:
- Carmen Ferrara (Sara Rue): she’s not a girl with a killer bod which will amaze every guy’s eyes when she appears – she’s the opposite of that. She’s fat [with pretty face, of course] and part of the unpopular clique, but she has a dream to become a cheerleader. She finally made it to become one, but then she decided to give it up to avoid any more conflict of interest. I like her because she’s the most mature character of all. She has a strong will and does things to get what she wants.
- Sam McPherson (Carly Pope): she’s someone with very strong wills [even more than Carmen], but sometimes I feel that she’s too idealist [teenager..] so I put her in the second place. She will defend whatever she feels is right and won’t doubt offending the wrong side.
- Harrison John (Christopher Gorham): he’s a guy that always goes with the unpopular girls. He’s doubtful most of the time, but that hesitation gives him time to think rationally like a guy does [well, he can become very inconsistent sometimes, but that’s what teenagers do, isn’t it?]. By the way, I hate him the most when he’s hesitating about something related to his secret love for Brooke.
- Brooke McQueen (Leslie Bibb): she’s the popular, considered the leader of the cheerleaders, but she’s the kind of perfect girls. Blonde hair, blue eyes, straight-A student, quarterback boyfriend, perfect body.. I like her being mature sometimes, but most of the time I hate her silence. She’s always silent about many things, especially the ones she doesn’t like.
- Nicole Julian (Tammy Lynn Michaels): she’s the most hate-able person in the series, with the evil thoughts and acts all the way through the series. I salute her protective character, however, to the ones she loves [the cheerleaders]. Hmmm expect the part when she slept with Brooke’s boyfriend.